Our faculty, staff and students engage with the world outside of academia. Here are some selected links:
- REECAS Director Scott Radnitz of the University of Washington was recently quoted by the Agence France-Presse (AFP) in “Uzbek Strongman Karimov Still Calls the Tune.” Congratulations Scott!
- Guntis Šmidchens, Head of Baltic Studies at the University of Washington, was quoted in the Wall Street Journal article “On NYC Stages, a Bounty of Latvian Performers.” Congratulations, Guntis!
- The Society of Slovene Literary Translators has named UW affiliate professor and Slavic librarian Michael Biggins as the recipient of its annual Janko Lavrin Prize, awarded each year for lifetime distinguished contributions to furthering Slovene literature abroad. Biggins is the translator of more than fifteen major, book-length works of 20th- and 21st-century Slovene literature. Congratulations, Professor Biggins!
- Senior Lecturer Bojan Belić has received the 2014 AATSEEL Award for Excellence in Post-Secondary Teaching. This award honors excellence in the teaching of Slavic and East European languages at the post-secondary level. It further recognizes promotion of Slavic languages, literatures, and culture at the undergraduate or graduate level; and rewards those who best support and inspire their students.
- REECAS alumnus Taylor Zajicek was awarded the ASEEES Graduate Student Essay Prize for an outstanding essay by a graduate student in Slavic, East European, and Eurasian Studies for his paper “Modern Friendship: The ‘New Turkey’ and Soviet Cultural Diplomacy, 1933-1934”. Congratulations, Taylor!